View from Fort Amsterdam.
The fort was built by the Dutch in 1631. Located near Great Bay and Little Bay, it was soon captured by the Spanish who occupied it as a military post until 1648. In that year the partition agreement was signed by Holland and France. The island, and therefore the Fort, changed hands many times between Holland, England and France.